Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Floral Hand Painted Floor Cloth

Read article : Floral Hand Painted Floor Cloth

Yesterday, I finished up one more big project for my bathroom makeover.  I made a floral hand painted floor cloth.

You have no idea how hard it was for me to notdo stripes.  Stripes are my go-to design for projects like this.  They have great impact in a room, and they’re incredibly easy to do.  And most importantly, I love how stripes look.  But this time, I forced myself to do something different.  I made myself step out of my comfort zone and tackle a different kind of design altogether.

Hand painted floral floorcloth

The design was inspired by this fabric from Calico Corners that a reader suggested as an accent on my shower curtain on this post.  (Thanks, Nancy!)

Painted floor cloth inspiration - fabric from Calico Corners

I loved the idea of big, bold flowers and leaves, but I wanted mine to have a little more variation in color.  So I ended up using four different paint colors (not including the brown for the stems), and I mixed in lots of white for more variation.

Hand painted floral floor cloth on a remnant piece of vinyl flooring

I painted the whole thing freehand, and as you can see, the shapes are really very basic, like the kind I drew in elementary school.  :)  But it’s the white paint that really gave these little flowers and leaves life.

Use vinyl floor remant to make hand painted floor cloth

I essentially used the same method that I used to make this floor cloth for my kitchen.  But this time, I made sure to select a vinyl floor remnant that was perfectly smooth on back.  (My last one had little “dimples” all over the back, which were basically dirt suction cups, and made it a nightmare to clean.)

Hand painted floor cloth wth flowers and leaves design

But if you’re not artsy, and don’t think you can paint your own flowers and leaves,  you can always use this easy method for making a floor cloth from fabric.

So that leaves me with one major project left in this bathroom makeover — the shower curtain.  And sadly, I’m still not settled on a design.  I’m clearly making this much harder than it should be!!  I think I’ll head over and read all of your suggestions again and see if I can make a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment