Sunday, March 25, 2018

How to fix up my bathroom on the cheap? - DIY house remodeling

Read article : How to fix up my bathroom on the cheap? - DIY house remodeling
I bought a small, vintage (1940s) house last fall (yay!) and am looking for advice on how to fix some issues in my only bathroom by myself, within a budget. I'm fairly handy, but not experienced. Help!

I've already had a plumber replace the old faucets and toilet. The tile floor is in decent shape (replaced probably in the 1980s or 90s) The cabinet needs paint, but the sink/vanity countertop is newish (same vintage as floor).Problems:* The walls are an ugly yellowish off-white. I want to paint them, and paint the cabinets a contrasting shade. Should I pay someone to do this, or attempt it myself? I hate painting, but I know I need to prioritize paying people to do stuff I really can't or won't do by myself.
* Grout is missing in some places and badly mildewed in others. Should I just clean and re-grout? Any product recommendations? [pic]
* Part of the tile around the newly replaced tub spigot has caved in. There's an eighth-inch gap in the tile. Should I just caulk it with tub & tile stuff and move on? See pictures here and here.
* Do I have to remove the old caulk first? If so, what's the best way?
* I'd love to have a shower door instead of a curtain... is installing one of those a feasible solo DIY job, or should I pay someone to do it?
* Previous renovators decided to paint over the border tile, which was black. Some has chipped off in several places - picture here. Do I just repaint with some (special?) paint? Other options?
* The tub - original from the 40s - is rusted and encrusted under the lip [pic]. Should I pumice that off? Caulk it? Get a pre-fab plastic thing installed? (kidding... mostly)
* The radiator is painted, with lots of craters and rusty places [pic]. What's the best course of action here - I have zero interest in doing a lot of sanding. Should I get some kind of paint remover? Again, is this a job for a pro instead?Thanks in advance for your advice!
posted by acridrabbit to Home & Garden (14 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

No comments:

Post a Comment